Thursday, May 18, 2006

Godspeed, Weiyang

Have you ever had those "What the hell am I doing here?" moments? I've just had one. It's 10.05pm now and my SIA interview is slightly over 12 hours away. I'm done reading up everything from interview tips to the specs of every type of aircraft in SIA's fleet but my performance during tomorrow's interview isn't what I'm really worried about. What's nagging me is this feeling that I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing. I mean, it would be easy to just dismiss it since it's just a first interview and there's no guarantee of anything, given SIA's high standards of selection. But somehow I keep questioning myself: if you know there's such a slim chance of you even getting in, why apply? Why not complete your degree and apply in four years? Why the impatience?

When I arrived here on Tuesday, my relatives gave me that skeptical look when I told them I was here for an interview to become a pilot. That same skeptical look when I told them I wanted to join the military academy almost four years ago. The skeptical look that seemed to say, "Not again! Why are you always trying to escape what you're destined to be??". And my cousin asked me a really good question yesterday: what are you going to do if you get through the selection process? Honestly, I have no idea. I'm going into this expecting nothing but failure so if I succeed and any requests for a deferment of training is rejected, what do I do then? Damn...maybe I'm worrying about it too early.

I just don't know what to think now. I'm hoping this won't end up as yet another of my failed attempts to escape reality. Then again, its an inescapable conclusion considering the fact that I'm expecting to fail, isn't it? Paradoxes, paradoxes...I'm gonna wish myself good luck and go to bed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tharan said...

the same goes for me...eveyone is sceptical when i want to become a pilot. But i keep telling them..... i shall wait for the day you all come begging for your complimentary free ticket.

My advice....no harm in trying.... gain the experience of applying if you get...go for it..if you dont at least you have something to fall back on which is your degree. Then after that...reapply once again.

3:44 AM  
Blogger Tharan said...

And all the best... !!!

p/s dont forget spotting in CHangi...get for me some SQ B777 and SQ A345 'azahan' style shots as a souvenier. :P

3:46 AM  
Blogger The Weiyang said...

thanks for the encouragement, dude. the interview went great!

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home