Monday, July 03, 2006

Ad Astra per Aspera

Was browsing around nasa's website today, looking for the NasaTV link to watch the Space Shuttle launch when I found a reminder of just why I had wanted to be an engineer.

JFK's 'Before the decade is out' Speech:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/highlights/index.html

"I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out,
of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth. No single space project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important for the long-range exploration of space; and none will be so difficult or expensive to accomplish,"

- John F. Kennedy, May 25, 1961

Yup, somehow listening to the speech again made the thought of returning Unimas seem less and less depressing. And though I know my current GPA probably wouldn't be enough to get me into a reputable grad school (which might serve as a launchpad for me into the NASA workforce) I can probably take solace in the fact that there will be people my age working on the project and maybe even making the journey itself across the void to the moon, Mars and beyond.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home