Monday, December 18, 2006

Taiping

Since most visitors to this blog are Unimasians (which by default means they come from Sarawak or out-of-Taiping) I thought I'd put up some pics of my hometown. Well, that and I wanted to test out the capabilities of my new toy (only Esther knows what it is!). So here goes - Taiping, brought to you in glorious black and white:

First up, my school - St George's Institution or SGI. Stormy days ahead. Especially with that headmistress...

Capturing the moment on a Sunday evening.

Inside. In case you didn't know, SGI is a pretty small school.

Boys will always be boys. Check out all the 'confessions' of love on this table...

Looking up from the front.

Then it's on to the rest of the town. Found this retro former gas station near the post office. Just thought it was snap-worthy.

The Pejabat Daerah dan Tanah Larut dan Matang (English: Land Office?) looking glorious in the evening sun.

Blue skies over the same building. Just couldn't resist putting up a colored one here.

At the museum grounds: a bronze statue of Robert Sandilands Frowd Walker, a respected guy back in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Still at the museum grounds. Retired RMAF F-86 Sabre. This was the Commonwealth version which only had two cannons as opposed to the American version which had six.

The entire museum.

The famous Taiping Lake Gardens.

With its famous almost century old (so I've been told) raintrees.

Looking across the main lake.

More raintrees.

A great place for the retired to enjoy their golden years of course.

Finally, the Taiping railway station, also the first in Malaysia.


Railway switches

The station sign. North (right) is to Kamunting and South (left) is to I-don't-know-where. The writing has peeled off...

Another inside view of the station

Final shot of the day. Sad to see historical structures like this being neglected.

That's all for today's crash tour of historical Taiping!

8 Comments:

Blogger EScetera said...

Hey, really nice pictures! My favourites is the one overlooking the lake... Really seems like something out of a dream!

Your new toy... Yes. Only Esther knows what is it!

Muahahahaha!

4:28 PM  
Blogger EScetera said...

My favourite IS...

My favourite IS!

Typo error...

4:30 PM  
Blogger The Weiyang said...

Your favorite is...your favorite is...?

Kadar ke-aneh-an yang tinggi again...

7:11 PM  
Blogger Tharan said...

woah..nice pics. Your new toy..?? dont tell me you got yourself a new camera.???

1:06 AM  
Blogger The Weiyang said...

Lol, doesn't take a lot of guessing does it, Tharan?

2:05 AM  
Blogger EScetera said...

You know, only now, when I read my earlier comments, do I realise how strange it sounds... Makes me sound kinda mad, doesn't it? Muahahahaha!

And so what if I've kadar ke-aneh-an yang tinggi? Cannot meh?

*grin*

2:39 PM  
Blogger ShuLy said...

hmm..would have loved to see more coloured photos..but nevertheless, really nice shots. i miss taiping. *_*

9:32 PM  
Blogger The Weiyang said...

More colored pics? Will try to do that...maybe during the CNY break

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home